June 5th was the official start date of a KAL featuring the Featherweight Cardigan, but it is not too late to join. Go to the Knit Cafe’s Ravelry Group to get connected with other knitters.
For those of you who have never participated in a Knitalong before, let me tell you some of the advantages.
– motivation to start a project you really want to try but have prior to not had the gumption to begin.
– sharing the experience with others; getting inspired by their design choices and colours. Basking in the comradery!
– getting tips along the way from helpful friends. Knitters always have tricks of the trade that they love sharing, or adjustments to a pattern that make it unique or a better fit.
– the same helpful friends come to your aid when times get tough; answering questions and giving advice acquired from their own experiences.
– you may finish your project sooner. Watching other knitters project grow is a persuading rallying cry.
This is what the Knitalongers have going on so far ↓
CaraMoo’s colour choice
Tosh Merino Light in Pop Rocks, Edison Bulb, and Tern
Cara has also posted pics of her other completed Featherweights. She has made her fair share and the pics are wonderful fodder for inspiration.
MichHaidar is really far along in such a short time. She is also using Tosh Merino Light
RobbieRobbie’s cardi in Flashdance Tosh Merino Light
diva2knit is also using 2 colours for her version but in the lace weight of Madeleinetosh – Graphite and Steam Age.
This is what the end result will be. Look for the pattern here, or come by the cafe to get a copy, and Knit Along!
A Knitalong is a nice way to keep summer-knitting slap-happy. Some of the folks who join us at the Knit Cafe regularly have started one. The Sexy Shrug knitalong began Tuesday May 31. Already the shrugs are well on their way. Take a gander!
This is the Knit Cafe’s already finished version of the Sexy Shrug just in case you were wondering what the end result might be. Knit-up in Dream in Colour Classy (which is a worsted weight yarn). The colour shown is “In Vino Veritas” which translates to “in wine there is truth” Indeed!
What do you need to start your own knitalong?
First you need a project.
Then you need some knitters.
Then you need a convenient and regular way to get in touch.
The internet is a great tool for a virtual knitalong. Meeting in person is nice too. Our Sexy Shrug Knitalong is being propelled by two types of communicators.
1. The knitters meet consistently at our Tuesday night Stitch and Bitch.
2. Email addresses were exchanged. Comments, concerns and status updates can be imparted this way. This is some of the chatter this week:
Hi Ladies, Are we starting this tonight at the KC? ~ C
I have a confession…I cast on for my shrug last night. I can never concentrate enough at the Knit Cafe to get the right number, so I am all ready! ~S
I vote this the most adorable confession of the day! ~R
I believe this project is not good for the subway either. Second try failed miserably in row 3. Will try again in the peacefulness of my hotel in room in Frankfurt. Good luck everyone. ~A
Haha, I had a very good row 3- 6, with branching out to Continental purl rows oh my!~E
If you are also knitting the Sexy Shrug and have some pics or some comments – send them along! ~ME!